Jasper - A Volkswagen T3 Panel Van

Jasper is a 1985 VW T3 Panel Van and this is the story of our ownership.

Sunday 6 March 2011

Why a T3 Van?

The decision to buy a VW van came in 2010. Having had some fantastic campervan trips in New Zealand, we decided it was high time that we explored more of the UK - and a van was the best way to do this.

I'd hankered after a VW van for years. Reading magazines and visiting shows left me with the desire to one day own a Split or Bay, but the prices had reached a level whereby all but the most tired examples of these required a huge investment. We decided that the miles we wanted to go warranted something more modern and reliable.

A friend of mine was a T4 fan and having been in his on many a surf trip to Cornwall, I decided this was the way forward, so the search was on. Many hours of trawling the Internet duly followed - viewing examples from ex-AA vans through to Caravelles. Over time though, I started to wonder if a T4 was what I really wanted. Yes, they are great vans, but I decided that character was important too. A friend had owned a couple of T3 vans, which I liked, so I expanded the van search. The Volkswagen T3 Transporter (known also as the T25 in the UK) was now the main focus.

Lots more on line searching followed until one day a browse of the Car and Classic website resulted in a 1985 T3 panel van for sale near Leicester appearing in the results list. As it happened, we were going to be in the area the following weekend, so I arranged a viewing and test drive.

Armed with several 'buyers guides' from Club 80-90 and Brickwerks, I went over all aspects of the van before taking it for a test drive. It was all great. Now, I have to admit that buying the first van you view is normally a really bad idea, but my heart got the better of my head! We didn't commit on the spot and drove back to Surrey whilst deliberating the plus and minus points. Not long after arriving home the decision was made and one short phone call later I had committed to the purchase. That was in April 2010.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home